DISCLAIMER: Use of the links on this page is subject to the special Disclaimer at the foot of this page and the general Disclaimer of Legal Liability on the Home page.
Links to Local Websites
• Using any of the links below will open a new window in your browser.
• After visiting a linked site, close the new window to return to this page.
• Your assistance in reporting dead links to the Webmaster would be appreciated - Thank you
Local Information and Interest Websites
- Birch and Layer Villages Information ( www.birchandlayer.org.uk/villinfo.htm )
- Amenities and services in the villages of Birch, Layer Breton, Layer Marney and Layer de la Haye.
- Parish Churches of Layer de la Haye, Layer Breton with Birch and Layer Marney ( www.layerchurches.org.uk )
- The website of the Church of England parish churches serving the Layer villages. It carries information on the times of services, details of forthcoming events, locations and histories of the churches, and contacts.
- What's On in Birch, Layer Breton and Layer Marney ( www.bretonheath.me.uk/diary.htm )
- A calendar of local events in the three villages, giving dates, times and other details.
- Geoff Russell Grant's Website ( www.bretonheath.me.uk )
- Includes information about Parish News (the monthly newsletter delivered free to every house in Birch, Layer Breton and Layer Marney), the Three Villages Gardening Club and Layer Breton Heath.
- Local History Pages ( www.bretonheath.me.uk/history )
- The local history section of Geoff Russell Grant's website. Local history articles relating to Birch, Layer Breton and Layer Marney, including transcripts of all the Centenary Chronicles going back to the first, which was published in November 1995.
- Birch Airfield ( www.birchairfield.co.uk )
- Neil Cowling's website about the US Air Force airfield built at Birch during the Second World War. Interesting information about a significant piece of Birch's history during the 20th century.
- Colchester Borough Council ( www.colchester.gov.uk )
- The site of our local Borough Council, containing a wealth of information for local residents and visitors alike.
- Essex County Council ( www.essex.gov.uk )
- Essex County Council is the next level of local government up from Colchester Borough Council. Its website carries a great deal of useful information.
- Birch Church of England Primary School ( www.birch.essex.sch.uk )
- Birch Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School is the primary school for children living in Birch and the surrounding rural area.
- Stanway School ( www.stanway.essex.sch.uk )
- Stanway School - the main secondary school attended by pupils living in the Birch area.
- Thurstable School, Tiptree ( www.thurstable.essex.sch.uk )
- Thurstable School - the secondary school for pupils living in the Tiptree area which also takes pupils from the Birch area.
- Colchester Institute ( www.colchester.ac.uk )
- Colchester Institute is the major provider of further education and training for North Essex and adjoining areas. The College provides a range of Higher Education (degree level), Further Education and Part-Time courses, with over 140 full-time and 700 part-time courses.
- Job Centre Near Me ( www.jobcentrenearme.com )
- A website designed to make it easier to find local Jobcentre Plus offices, benefits and employment information.
- North Colchester Healthcare Centre ( www.northcolchesterhealthcarecentre.co.uk )
- The site has information about the Colchester NHS Walk-In Centre at North Colchester Healthcare's Primary Care Centre on Turner Road, Colchester (see map on their website). The Centre provides treatment for minor injuries and illnesses that patients cannot manage themselves. No appointment is necessary.
- Essex Weather ( https://essexweather.org.uk )
- A website founded to provide truly local (and accurate) weather forecasts to enable
local people and visitors to Essex to get out and enjoy the county. Forecasts are issued by meteorologists at Essex Weather's Chelmsford offices twice a day. The website carries no distracting advertisements or spyware.
Leisure and Local Attractions
- Layer Marney Tower ( www.layermarneytower.co.uk )
- One of the best known attractions in our area, Layer Marney Tower is the largest Tudor gatehouse in the country with exceptionally fine brickwork.
- Essex Wildlife Trust ( www.essexwt.org.uk )
- Includes information about the local Visitor Centres and nature reserves at Abberton Reservoir and Fingringhoe Wick.
- Colchester Zoo ( www.colchester-zoo.com )
- One of the most respected zoos in the country which has an excellent reputation for its breeding programme. It has made major investments in large new enclosures over the last few years.
- Visit Colchester ( www.visitcolchester.com )
- Colchester's official tourism website with plenty of information and ideas for enjoying the area's leisure facilities and attractions.
The above links to websites are provided solely as a service to the local community. Birch Parish Council has no control over third party websites or services and is not responsible for their content. The Council does not accept any liability for loss or damage arising from use of the links above or from visits to linked sites. A link on this page does not imply any approval or endorsement by Birch Parish Council of the individual or organisation running the site or of the site's content.